Make this job opportunity your career and adventure. The Chetwynd Communications Society is looking for a Radio Multi-Media Journalist who is interested in working in Chetwynd, BC and surrounding area. Specifically, we cover Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Tumbler Ridge, Hudson’s Hope and Moberly Lake. We are a small, and very energetic Community Station nestled in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies! Come work and play in the outdoors of the Peace Region! Not only will you be welcomed with open arms by our community, but you will also have access to six lakes, major hiking trails and some of the best skiing conditions at Powder King Mountain Resort! Our mandate is to focus specifically on local news and events in an area where major networks do not provide coverage.
The Radio Multi-Media Journalist will work for Peace FM & CHET TV (divisions of the Chetwynd Communications Society) to cover activities within the communities’ civic institutions (for example, courthouses, city halls, band councils, school boards, federal parliament, provincial legislatures, etc.) and other subjects of public importance.
We are looking for someone who is not afraid to establish contacts in several communities in order to find new stories every single week. The chosen candidate with also help our Sales Manager generate leads for potential advertising or sponsorship clients. Ideal candidates will have a strong understanding of civic journalism, an understanding of how local issues impact residents (and vice versa), a passion for creative storytelling, conduct interviews and write news for radio and our website.
It is equally important that candidates understand community-based media and its role in facilitating dialogue by involving members of the community directly in the production process.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Seek News stories in Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Tumbler Ridge, Hudson’s Hope and Moberly Lake.
• Contribute to Peace FM News by gathering in-person interviews, phone interviews, in-studio interviews, writing news stories for broadcast, web page and social media.
• Attend local events with the goal of recording interviews for Peace FM News and take photos for our Social Media Pages.
• Cover bi-weekly Council meetings.
• Cover Chamber of Commerce events.
• Cover events assigned by the General Manager.
• Help promote contests planned throughout the year.
• Work with Production staff to voice, schedule and advertise various content on Peace FM.
• Help our Sales Manager with contacts and sales leads.
• Maintain a professional appearance, demeanor, and attitude at all times.
• Performs other duties assigned by your Manager.
WORK CONDITIONS & BENEFITS
• Hybrid work: Work from one of our studio offices in Chewtynd, BC and Dawson Creek BC. Work remotely or from an event when necessary.
• Mon – Saturday (Only 24 Hours) between 9am – 6 pm.
• Be flexible with their schedule for events on weekends.
• Interacts with employees, management, and the public at large.
• Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
• Occasional car travel from office to events/interviews.
• Gym & Pool Membership at The Chetwynd Recreational Centre.
• Manulife Medical Benefits (Dental, massage, chiropractor etc.).
• Flexible schedule for appointments & errands.
• Demonstrate journalistic experience (1-3 years minimum).
• Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
• Strong writing skills and On Air delivery.
• Excellent listening skills.
• Experience working with Adobe Audition.
• Experience editing photos with Adobe Suite would be an asset.
• Excellent customer service skills, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Motivated and creative team player.
• Computer literate with proficiency using basic programs such as Windows and Gmail Suite.
• Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with different contacts in our community.
• Able to perform basic calculations and mathematical figures.
• Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
• High level of integrity and work ethic.
• Must possess a valid driver's license and have access to a vehicle.
Review our Peace FM & CHET TV websites, listen to our radio station, Peace FM - Radio Multi-Media Journalist - Job Posting watch our interviews on CHET TV’s YouTube channel and tell us why you should be part of our exciting team! Submit a cover letter and resume to our General Manager, Marlon Villar Gomez at firstname.lastname@example.org